When the weather’s hot, we want nothing more than to enjoy a refreshing meal that is not only filling and full of vegetables but is also suitable to eat alfresco while we make the most of the warm weather.
This summer pasta salad is perfect and can be enjoyed on a picnic or when you’re relaxing in the garden.
For the pasta salad:
- 200g pasta, any preferred shape but we used fusilli
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped (sun-dried tomatoes are also nice in this recipe)
- 6 spring onions, diced
- 50g rocket leaves
- ½ cucumber, chopped
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Small handful basil leaves, shredded
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to boil, along with a drop of olive oil.
- Add the pasta and cook to the instructions on the pasta packet, or until tender.
- Drain the pasta, then rinse under cold water and drain again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar and mustard together. Season to taste and stir in the basil leaves.
- Transfer the pasta to a salad bowl. Add the tomatoes, spring onion, cucumber and rocket.
- Add the dressing and extra oil, then mix well and serve.