You can’t beat a warm, hearty meal during winter, and this Prawn and Sweetcorn Chowder is perfect with a roll of crusty bread.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of butter
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock – cooled
- 2 medium/large potatoes – peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 340g of sweetcorn
- 300ml of semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml of single cream
- 350g-400g of peeled raw king prawns
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the onions, garlic, mustard and paprika and fry for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions have softened.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the stock, stirring after each addition until all the liquid is used and there is a smooth consistency.
- Return to the heat and add the potatoes
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the sweetcorn and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and cream, stir and then add the prawns. Heat for a further 5-7 minutes until the prawns have turned pink and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste if necessary and serve.
Heritage Healthcare Tandridge provides expert home care and support services to help more people continue living in their own home for longer. Our services are provided by our highly trained and friendly care team, and include personal care, household and domestic, companionship, respite, dementia care and palliative care.
To find out more about our services, please click here. You can also contact our friendly team through your preferred contact method here to have a chat about how we can support you and your loved ones.