When the temperatures drop, there’s nothing better than enjoying a hearty meal to warm you up.
The shops may now have started to put out their festive selections, but we need to remember to continue to eat hearty and nutritious meals to keep us healthy and fight against winter illnesses.
This recipe for a winter warming Carrot and Red Pepper Soup is perfect for winter days and can be made in advance for the week ahead.
Carrot and Red Pepper Soup
- 1 large white onion – chopped
- 4 carrots – chopped
- 1 red pepper – deseeded and chopped
- 0.9L reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 50g dried red lentils
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
How to make:
- Dissolve the stock cube in hot water.
- In a large pan, place the carrots, onion, red peppers, lentils, ginger and dissolved stock and bring to boil.
- When the stock starts to bubble, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Take the pan off the heat, and blend the vegetables using a liquidizer, food processor or hand-held stick blender until it is smooth.
- Serve the soup with a tablespoon of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of fresh chives, and a warm crusty bread roll.
This recipe is perfect for batch cooking and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, or frozen for 3 months. Ensure the soup has been fully defrosted and heated in the microwaved for 3 minutes.
At Heritage Healthcare Epsom, our care team are on hand to support with meal preparation and ensure clients are safe and well at home. Our personal care service includes nutrition and helps with eating and drinking, with care plans tailored to an individual’s unique health needs and requirements.
To find out more about our home care service, you can contact our friendly team through your preferred contact method here.
We are also recruiting dedicated Home Carers to join our team and deliver expert care at home. Click here to discover our current career opportunities.